Prototype built on top of Interledger

I started to experiment with Web Monetization Reciever this past week and came up with an idea for which I just had to crank out a prototype. Thankfully I was able to make it work (I think). You can find the app here (the server may be sleeping so give it a moment to wake up).

Basically, I use a Bucket Server (a server that creates buckets using the Monetizer API) to collect in one bucket all of the funds streamed to the app over the course of the week. And a Revshare Server to create a Revshare Payment Pointer taking as arguments the pointer and payout details for the winner(s).

Every week, the app sends a request to the Revshare Server to update the Revshare Payment Pointer and sends a request to the Bucket Server to send whatever has accumulated in the bucket to the Revshare Payment Pointer. Technically what happens is that the app calls .spend() which subtracts the specified funds from the bucket and if successful, .pay() which should send the specified funds to the Revshare Payment Pointer.

I haven’t had a chance to test just yet. A lot of it was built on what I believed would be the expected behavior. If you want to try it out, please let me know! It would be great to get a few testers. I’ll commit the Revshare Server (or, if I should, a pull request) and the Bucket Server as well as document when I have some time to do so.

Really cool idea - though I don’t seem to be able to upload my payment pointer. Any thoughts?

Thanks! You can upload your payment pointer on the Know page (there should be a tab on the top right corner to navigate to it). But if you are not logged in, you should be redirected to a login page. I can DM you login credentials for a test user later.

1 Like

Cool! The idea of putting all the users under a revshare pointer is really interesting. I wonder if you could use that on a forum-like site, where all users who have some amount of activity get added to the entire site’s revshare pointer, incentivizing contribution.

When I answer the question it tells me I need to have Coil installed, although I’ve already got it enabled and it appears to be paying on the site. Do you know what’s up with that?

Thanks! I think using it on a forum-like site is an interesting and doable idea. Some thought would have to be put into how to prevent spam.Since we are talking about ways to improve engagement with open source projects, another idea popped into my head. Open source projects have lots of documentation available to the public. I would imagine there is some of it, which, although interesting and useful, remains unread. I’ve spent a bit of time on the Interledger site, but have just begun to crack the surface. One could find a way to scan the documents on the site, convert pieces of it into multiple answer questions that could feed into a trivia app like the one I’ve prototyped. That way, you can increase engagement with short bursts of information. Unlock the value of words with Web Monetization.

If you have Coil already installed, you should be redirected to a login page when you press submit. However, if instead, you are being redirected to the get Coil page, then it’s a bug. I’ll take a look.

Anyways, I think in my eagerness to share the prototype, I may have done so prematuraly. I’m going to take it down, do a bit more work on it, and put it back up to another url only for testers.

I’ve updated the app (source at github: tryvia). If you haven’t already, please DM me for a tester account, if interested in testing it out. I’ll be sending out the app URL and user access details soon. Thanks!