Interledger and the siloed communities?

Hi together,

I hope everyone is safe and sound!

Before I make some decisions, I hope someone could help me understand the following.

If someone was to create an alternative to Coil (e.g. Coil2), the monthly subscription might be only 3 USD, rather than Coil’s 5 USD.

Q: Would a website running on WM receive the same payment streams from visitors subscribed to both providers? What could could be some of the limitations to users of Coil2, trying to access websites mainly visited by Coil1 users?

I guess ideally WM should be covered in your (monthly pre-paid / top-up) internet package, allowing you (semi-)full access to most websites. One-time payments for certain content could still be triggered manually, if required. What is the mid- to long-term vision on this and how are we going to bridge the transition into an even smoother and inclusive experience?

Thank you!

Hi there, welcome to the Interledger forum!

Q: Would a website running on WM receive the same payment streams from visitors subscribed to both providers? What could could be some of the limitations to users of Coil2 , trying to access websites mainly visited by Coil1 users?

A Web Monetized site would receive money from Coil1 and Coil2 in the same wallet. In terms of the amount, it’s up to Coil2 how much to pay. If they were charging less it’s like that they would also pay less to the site. Sites can measure how much money per second they’re receiving and gate content if they aren’t happy with the amount. So while today the difference wouldn’t be noticeable, a Coil2 user might not be able to access the same content a Coil1 user can if Coil2 is paying a lower rate.

I guess ideally WM should be covered in your (monthly pre-paid / top-up) internet package, allowing you (semi-)full access to most websites. One-time payments for certain content could still be triggered manually, if required. What is the mid- to long-term vision on this and how are we going to bridge the transition into an even smoother and inclusive experience?

I think that’s a pretty good summary of the long-term vision: making WM available to everyone so that they can access content all across the web. The biggest friction of WM right now is the signup. If WM were built into your browser and came included with another subscription (for instance Internet) then it would make it a lot smoother for users.

We’re working on the browser side already, talking to people in the web standards community and improving WM to make sure it’s up to their standards (for instance, on the privacy front)

Hi again,

Thanks for getting back to me and the clarification re different payment providers!

I hope the remaining obstacles can be set aside sooner than later…

Best, Jame