Settlement Architecture

Nice explanation! I think I broadly agree with the analysis between the two proposals, but I still have some open questions.

I don’t think the diagram in proposal 1 entirely accurately describes it. I see “sendMoney” and “receiveMoney” as a much more direct API between the “ledger adapter” and the “balance service.”

I see the difference between the two proposals as the question of where the “settlement engine” component should exist (but not whether it’s an external service or an internal service). Does it exist between the balance service and the “ledger adapter,” interfacing between the two, or does its logic exist within the “ledger adapter” itself?

Proposal 1 has the flexibility to:

• Implement a thin “settlement engine” in between the balance service and “ledger adapter,” which likely only uses basic settleTo/settleThreshold logic (so simple that it probably doesn’t need to be a separate service), or,
  • Implement a complex “settlement engine” with ledger-specific orchestration logic that exists within the “ledger adapter” itself.

The sendMoney/receiveMoney primitive can be used in both cases (subject to a minor tradeoff(s), in each, which I can elaborate on).

One thing I’m unclear about: what is the “settlement engine” doing?

If it has very complicated ledger-specific logic around triggering settlement, per what you and Matt were suggesting, then does it have to be reimplemented for different “ledger adapters”?

Also, could you provide specific examples of what logic you see the settlement engine might implement in both simple use cases and more advanced use cases? I think it might help better isolate what problem we’re trying to solve

As an aside, I have some differences on the proposed terminology (and maybe they go beyond nomenclature):

• I think “settlement” as a descriptor is clearer and more generic than “ledger.” For example, while payment channels are technically their own type of “ledger,” people don’t typically think of them that way, and calling the integration a “ledger adapter” could create confusion as to whether it integrates with the base layer ledger, such as Bitcoin or Ethereum.
    • I see this as an abstraction to integrate with any mechanism to settle outside of the credit relationship on Interledger. What if I implemented a custom settlement integration that, e.g., mailed you cash? Is there a “ledger” in that case?
  • Your description of the intermediary component is that it “orchestrates complex business logic,” which fits the definition of “engine.”
    1. While addressed earlier, with respect to logic triggering settlement, some of this is tied directly to the settlement system, and may need to coexist with it.
    2. What is the best definition of “engine”? This definition seems more consistent with other sources I was able to find online: “An ‘engine’ is a self-contained, but externally-controllable, piece of code that encapsulates powerful logic designed to perform a specific type of work” (which to me aligns much more with the settlement system integration than its orchestration logic!)
  • “Adapter” sounds boring and “settlement engine” sounds pretty awesome :wink:

(i.e. we should call the settlement system integration a “settlement engine” rather than “ledger adapter”)

1 Like